Jolicloud is a Linux-based operating system developed for netbook computers. It is not a traditional OS. It was built for netbook users to leverage the Cloud and make their life easier. It is built on top of Ubuntu Netbook Remix and as with that this distribution, is tweaked for netbooks and other computers with limited disk space, memory and screen size.
Jolicloud is designed for easy installation, with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and 3G modem support all included. It supports all the major netbooks, including models from Asus, Acer, Dell, HP, MSI, Samsung and Sony. Jolicloud claims the OS supports 98% of netbooks with out-of-the-box compatibility. Version 1.0 of the operating system incorporates a user interface built primarily with HTML5 that includes an application launcher, a library of compatible applications with one-click installation and removal, a display of all machines associated with a user account, and a social activity stream that enables users to compare installed applications.
Download : Jolicloud 1.0
- Easy Installation : Installation is really easy. The installer is set to install the best and most recent drivers for you so that everything just works: WiFi, sound, Bluetooth, 3G, screen size etc.
- Social Features : Jolicloud has been designed to make sure you can connect and collaborate efficiently, and easily share with your Facebook friends and other Joliclouders.
- Cloud Backup : Keep your data locally but with the ability to save anything on the Cloud and control which services you want to use.
- Always Connected : With Jolicloud, you are connected anytime, anywhere. It support hundreds of mobile operators, 3G modems, Bluetooth and WiFi. So it makes things really easy.
Installation (Refer Screenshots Gallery For More):
- Download the .iso image of Jolicloud and make a bootable CD (using one of these applications) or USB (via Unetbootin) and boot with the media. Now enter the Live Desktop to preview Jolicloud first and then move on with the installation.
- Select you Language & then select “Try Jolicloud without making any change to your computer” and press enter.
- It will ask you to login first. You must be connected to Internet to do so. There is a “Network Manager” on the top-right corner of the screen just to the left of “volume indicator”. Right click and select “Edit Connections” and setup your connection. Click the “icon” and Connect to the Internet. (Refer This For More)
- Login to your Jolicloud account in order to login to the system. If you don’t have an account, you can create it right there or just type in your Facebook username and password and login.
- The Desktop shows up with a nice look and will show a notification as you as you login to install Jolicloud to your computer. Click on it to start the installer.
- Select your Language, Location, and Keyboard preferences and click forward.
- Now the Partitioner setup will show up. If you have read our previous post then you already know what to do. For those who don’t, see how we do it
- Select your hard-drive where you want to put the OS.
- Then select “specify partitions manually” to setup the partitions yourself.
- Here we require 2 partitions A ROOT partition for installation and a SWAP partition.
- Make a primary /root ( or just / as we know it in linux ) partition of atleast 10GiB using ext4 file-system. Size of /root should be as large as possible because all your system files are going to installed there and don’t forget to use ext4 FS.
- Swap area is to be created in the end. Make it double the size of your system RAM.
NOTE: Make /home partition if you like but its not necessary at all. Give it considerable amount of space.
- Next window will show-up all your setting made so far. Check again and recheck and click Finish to start the installation process. Wait for while til the installation completes and reboot the machine.
- Enter the login details when asked to do so and boot into your Cloud.
- You will be prompted at first boot to “Associate the System”.
- Click Start to continue.
- Describe your device.
- Define System Model.
- Name you Computer and Exit.
Click forward after completing with the partitioning.
Njoy Jolicloud !!!