Ubuntu 10.10 – Maverick Meerkat Beta has been released for testing and here we are with a review of the all new Ubuntu 10.10 coming your way. Sorry for being a bit late cause we have been extensively busy in some other work.This beta release of Ubuntu 10.10 has come up with a lots of updates and new features like the new Ambiance and Radiance themes, new wallpapers, improved Ubiquity installer, Gnome 2.32 beta1 and much more. The kernel packages were updated to version , based on the final release of Linux kernel 18.104.22.168. Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop Edition and Netbook Edition continue the trend of ever-faster boot speeds, with improved startup times and a smoother, streamlined boot experience. Ubuntu 10.10 Server Edition provides even better integration of the Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud, with its install time cloud setup.
New Features :-
Ubuntu Desktop Edition :
- New Linux Kernel 22.214.171.124
- Updated to GNOME 2.31
- Shotwell has replaced F-Spot as the default photo manager.
- The Sound Indicator has been enhanced to include music player controls.
- Evolution has been updated to the 2.30 version
- Gwibber has been updated to support the recent change in Twitter’s authentication system, as well as changing the back end storage to improve performance.
- Ubuntu One: Improved desktop integration with new sign up and sign in process. Nautilus has been enhanced for faster file sync speeds & for managing folder sync preferences. You can share links to music within the Ubuntu One Music Store.
- New Ubuntu Installer has been updated in look, feel & functionality. Installation starts right after Partitioner Setup making the Install process faster.
- Ubuntu Software Center has an updated look and feel, including the new “Featured” and “What’s New” views for showcasing applications, an improved package description view, and a “For Purchase” software category has been added. You can also now easily access your package installation history too.
Kubuntu Desktop Edition :
- KDE Platform, Workspaces and Applications were updated to 4.5.0. 4.5.1 to arrive shortly.
- For 10.10 Beta, Kubuntu has merged the Desktop and Netbook images into one image featuring both the Plasma Desktop and Plasma Netbook workspaces. The appropriate workspace for your machine will be launched at login, you can also change the workspace in System Settings.
- The defaults web browser is now Rekonq.
- Pulseaudio is the default sound server.
- Kubuntu’s installer (Ubiquity) now has an updated look and layout & the install starts just after Partitioner setup making install process faster.
- KPackageKit updates bring a faster backend and an updated UI that provides a new Categories page, and new features such as a backup/restore tool for the list of installed packages.
- Plasma Netbook now sports the Global Menu by default.
- KPackageKit updates bring a faster backend and an updated UI.
- The new KDE bluetooth application collection Bluedevil is now installed by default.
Download :- Ubuntu 10.10 stable release is scheduled for 10th October. but, for the impatient ones, here are the links for beta :
The installation is same as that of previous versions of Ubuntu. Take a look at he new improved Ubuntu/Kubuntu installer.
Ubuntu Desktop has gone through a lot of improvements with Gnome 2.31. Take a look :
Kubuntu Desktop with the new KDE 4.5 has got a new awesome look :
Note: It worked flawlessly even in beta stage in my PC
Njoy Maverick !!!