Scribus is an Open Source program that brings award-winning professional page layout to Linux/UNIX, Mac OS X, OS/2 Warp 4/eComStation and other desktops with a combination of “press-ready” output and new approaches to page layout. Underneath the modern and user friendly interface, Scribus supports professional publishing features, such as CMYK color, separations, Spot Colors, ICC color management and versatile PDF creation.
It is powerful Desktop Publishing (DTP) software that helps you create great looking documents of all kinds. It also comes with a lot of support options to help you achieve the best results.
Get Scribus :- ‘Scribus 1.5.0 svn’ can be downloaded and installed using the Ubuntu PPA of Scribus-Trunk. Open the terminal and type :-
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:scribus/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install scribus-trunk
and done. Access Scribus from Applications>Graphics>Scribus(Trunk).
Scribus-Basics : Moving over to the basics, here we will be showing howto use Scribus for creating Documents like PDFs etc.
Creating and editing PDF files >
- Add document – Goto File>New to add a new document. It comes by default everytime you start Scribus.
- Import Text – Goto Insert>Insert Text frame and enter object size. After that, import text file, any document file (.csv, .odf , .html, .htm, .pdb, .txt etc.) already written by you whose pdf you want to create. Else you can write whole text yourself.
- Import Image – Goto Insert> Insert Image Frame and enter the object size. Right click the frame to select an image which you want to add. You can resize and move the frame on the page anywhere you want.
- Adding Pages – Goto Pages>Insert.. and give the no of pages to insert and press Enter.
- Besides Text & Images, you can also add Table, Shape, Polygon, Line etc.
- After adding everything, take a final look through the whole page carefully. Edit anything you want and then save the file as PDF.
Working with Scribus
Open the file using any PDF reader to view your own PDF eBook . This is just the 1% of the actual capabilities of Scribus we have covered here. Move on and start playing with it to know more about it.
For any queries regarding this post or any other query regarding Ubuntu, ask here.