Ubuntu Studio is a multimedia editing/creation flavor of Ubuntu, built for the GNU/Linux audio, video, and graphics enthusiast/professional.
Ubuntu Studio Maverick Meerkat 10.10 is available as a 1.7GB DVD iso image here at Ubuntu Studio Download page.
For more, please see this page.
New Programs & Features
Audio:- The following are the applications available by default in Ubuntu Studio for Audio creation/recording/editing :-
- Aeolus 0.8.4 – a pipe-organ emulator program
- Ardour 2.8.11 – a hard disk recorder and digital audio workstation application (Works with JACK)
- Audacity 1.3.12 – a digital audio editor application
- Echomixer 1.0.23 – linux quivalent application of echoaudio
- envy24controls 1.0.23
- HDSPConf 1.0.23 – a GUI for to control the Hammerfall HDSP alsa settings
- HDSPMixer 1.0.23 – linux equiv. to Totalmix from RME
- Hexter 0.6.2 – software synthesizer that models sound generation
- JACK 1.9.5 -system for handling real-time, low latency audio
- JACK control (qjackctl) 0.3.6 – Jack audio connection kit
- JAMin 0.97.14 – Jack audio connection kit Audio Mastering Interface
- Mixxx 184.108.40.206 – a free Digital DJ software
- MuseScore 0.9.6.3 – Music composition & notation software
- Patchage 0.4.4 – Modular patch bay for audio & MIDI systems
- Puredata 0.42.6 – Real-time graphical data programming environment for audio, video & graphical processing
- Qsynth 0.3.5 – Qt4 app wrapper for fluidsynth software MIDI sequencer
- Rakarrak 0.5.8 – a Guitar effects processor
- RMEdigicontrol 1.0.23 – RME digital controller
- Sound Recorder (gnome-media) 2.31.6
Video :- For Video recording/creation/editing, Ubuntu Studio has the following to offer:-
- Freemix 0.2 beta – a live video performance software
- Kino 1.3.4 – a non-linear digital video editor
- Stopmotion – a stop-motion animation movie creator
- Movie player 2.32.0 – a media player
- Xjadeo – a simple video player that gets sync from JACK transport
Graphics :- To let your creativity fly, Ubuntu Studio offers the following application for image editing/creation :-
- Agave 0.4.7 – a color scheme generator
- Blender 2.49 – a 3D animation program
- FontForge – a typeface (font) editor program
- Fontmatrix 0.6.99 – another font-manager for linux
- GIMP 2.6 – a raster graphics editor
- Hugin 2010.2.0 – photo stitching and HDR merging program
- Inkscape 0.48 – a vector graphics editor
- Scribus 220.127.116.11svn – a desktop publishing application (Just discussed it in our previous post)
and much more. A big list of FOSS is ready for 1 click install via Synaptic.
The installation is all the same as before. There are two methods for installing Ubuntu Studio 10.10 – one from already installed Ubuntu 10.10 gnome and the other is dedicated install.
1) Upgrade Ubuntu 10.10 Gnome to Ubuntu Studio >>
- Open Synaptic Package Manager.
- Then type in search box “Ubuntu Studio ” and select all the packages and mark all of them for installation that start with the name ” Ubuntu Studio” like Ubuntu-studio-wallpapers, Ubuntu-studio-audio,menu,sounds,look,default-settings,audio-plugins,icon-theme,gdm-theme,controls etc. and mark all of them for installation.
- Apply changes and wait it to complete.
- Restart the System and reboot into your Studio 10.10
2) Dedicated Installation of Ubuntu Studio 10.10>>
The installation process is same as the one covered in our previous post.
Take a look at the screenshots :-
The Studio Desktop
The Ubuntu Studio desktop is not much evolved from previous one despite of some great changes in Ubuntu Desktop Edition.Take a look at the Studio Desktop :
For any queries regarding Ubuntu Studio or any other regarding Ubuntu, please ask here.
Njoy your Studio !