Cairo Dock – An awesome dock for Ubuntu desktops has been released. As we have already discussed in our previsou post ‘Ultimate Docks for Ubuntu‘, Cairo GLX dock is a dock manager that uses Cairo / OpenGL to render graphics (many in correlation with Compiz) with full hardware acceleration. It’s fully configurable and fully customizable and can be used as a taskbar too. You can easily add applets in the dock or as a desklet. So, its a must have for eyecandy lovers.
Open the terminal and type this –
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cairo-dock-team/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cairo-dock
and done. Now close the terminal and fireup Cairo dock from Applications>System Tools>Cairo Dock and enjoy.
Cairo Dock 2.3
- A lot of new applets are available in our new repository! (Transmission, Deluge, MintMenu, Translator, Quote of the day, etc). You can install them for free in a single click!
- The new “Recent-Events” applet lets you browse your last activties (music, videos, documents, web pages, etc).
- The System-Monitor applet can now monitor CPU temperature and fan speed.
- The menus have a better layout.
- The Logout applet now warns you when the computer needs to be restarted.
- The Stack applet now displays the web page’s favicon.
- The Drop and Share applet now handles UbuntuOne.
- Better integration with Compiz and Kwin.
- Many bug-fixes.
Right click and goto Cairo Dock>Configure to set the Cairo dock according to your need. To add Launchers, just click on Add-ons tab from the Cairo menu and click ‘apply’.
Cairo Dock Themes :- There are a lot of themes available in the list. Right-click Cairo-dock>Manage Themes and just select and click ‘apply’. It will be downloaded, installed and changed automatically. Additional themes can be downloaded from Gnome-Look. Here are a few –
1) Humanity Theme – Download
This theme aims to revolutionize the look of the Cairo-Dock for the integration with the theme of Humanity. Also attached the theme for the basket and the icons for the music player applet, the latter created by me on the basis of the icon\’s default music player in this original theme. Added the Clear CPU Applet themes
2) Graphite Theme – Download
The author have ported the skin graphite by ~deniartru and Icon theme by Asher to cairo-dock.
To install extract to:~/.cairo-dock/themes/ and done.
3)Handlegot Theme – Download
A theme for Cairo-dock based on DeviantDark’s Handelgot Iconset (BLACK version). For using it without svn version of cairo-dock, put the folder extracted from the tar.gz in ~/.config/cairo-dock/themes or in ~/.cairo-dock/themes (for older versions)
Extract the file you downloaded. Go to your home folder, make sure the “view hidden files” option is on. Go into the “.config” folder, then the “cairo-dock” folder. Go into the “themes” folder, and move the extracted file in there. From here you can apply the theme using Cairo Dock’s “Manage Themes” option. Make sure you have “Use The Themes New Launchers” and “Use The Themes New Behavior” checked!
5) Brown Spectre Theme – Download
Window Manager : Compiz Fusion, Window Decorator : Emerald, Emerald Theme : Reuben;
Gtk2 Engine: Pixmap e Mist, Gtk2 Theme : Reuben, Icon themes : Buuf, Dock : Cairo-Dock.
(Download the themes and install them right away and you are good to go)
For any queries regarding Cairo Dock or any other regarding Ubuntu, ask us here freely.