Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal, the KDE 4.6.2 desktop that brings new stunning look and feel to the table has been released. This release is greeted with KDE 4.6 and many other usability improvements to Ubuntu. This release of Kubuntu has come up with a great UI, an awesome default wallpaper and many other feature improvements.
For installation instructions and details, please refer our previous post.
Behold KDE 4.6
KDE 4.6 is the latest upgrade to the famous desktop environment for eyecandy lovers. This time, its more polished, more shiny, more classy and its simply more awesome than ever.
Plasma and KDE Applications 4.6.2
KDE SC 4.6 brings users many new features and improvements, including:
- KWin sees significant performance improvements and better detection of graphic driver capabilities
- You can now associate programs with specific Plasma activities
- The power management configuration area has been given a new, easier natty narwhal no release candidateto use interface
- Improvements in the User Interface, including the creation and management of Activities and improved search functions in Dolphin.
OwnCloud, the remote file storage server from KDE, has been packaged and is available to install from the Kubuntu archive. Owncloud serves as a viable replacement for Ubuntu One is Unity interface. OwnCloud helps you keep things under control
- Store your files centrally on a hardware controlled by you.
- Access it from all your devices
- Online and offline (syncing)
- Cross Platform
- Automatic versioning
- Desktop Integration
- Plugins for a MediaPlayer, PhotoGallery, RSS Catcher and more.
GTK Oxygen Theme
GTK applications such as Firefox or Inkscape now fit in with KDE’s Oxygen artwork. This adds more shine to the KDE desktop. Even Libreoffice works fine with it.
By popular demand Kubuntu devs have squeezed a game of patience onto the CD. There are few fun games to play with when youa re tired and want to keep your mind off things.
New Samba Filesharing
Kubuntu now have a working Samba filesharing system. You can now right-click on a folder in Dolphin, select “Properties” and easily share it with other computers on your network. It will even offer to install the Samba server if you do not already have it.
New Language Selector Module
Kubuntu now supports System Language Selector, now integrated into System Settings’ Locale section. Now you can easily add, remove and manage languages wish extra security because it does not run as root.
Features & Updates
The New Features & other Application updates are listed below –
- Linux kernel 188.8.131.52 is the base of Kubuntu.
- LibreOffice 3.3.2 is the default office suite.
- GCC 4.5 comes into Natty.
- Python 2.7 package is present now to do the wonders.
- dpkg 1.16.0 for a faster application control.
- Upstart 0.9 is here.
- X.org 1.10.0 and Mesa 7.10.1.
- Firefox 4.0 works as standard web browser.
- Evolution 2.32.2 is basic Email Client.
Kubuntu 11.04 Desktop
[To be Continued]