Lubuntu 11.04 is a faster, more lightweight and energy saving variant of Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal using LXDE, the Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment. The lubuntu team aims to earn official endorsement from Canonical and is aimed at low specs computer users who want to have Ubuntu as their mainstream operating system. The system requirements are quite low and the package selection has been done carefully so as to match the minimal system resources and thus maintaining max performace of the system during multitasking. Where Unity interface of Ubuntu requires 3D accelaration enabled for proper operation, Lubuntu can be run on system with graphics memory of only 32MB (tested). So, get ready for a feather-lite Ubuntu experience.
- Processor – 800MHz or above.
- RAM – 128 MB (256 MB recommended)
- Hard Disk – 6.0 GB space.
- DVD-writer/ USB port – Atleast one is required.
- Graphics – 32MB video memory (128 MB recommended)
Note: These are minimum system requirements.
Installing Lubuntu is an easy process and is totally same as that of Ubuntu which has been discussed in detail over here. Just boot into Live mode using CD or USB, double lcick “Installer icon”, follow the instructions and you will be good to go. If you are confused regarding the Partitioning thing, please refer our previous post.
The images below will help you with the entire installation process and LXDE desktop –
For those who are using previous verison of Lubuntu, want to upgrade to 11.04, just run the Update manager and upgrade to 11.04.
Programs, Features & Updates
Lubuntu offers lighter alternatives to its users for a entirely light Ubuntu experience.
- Based on the lightweight LXDE desktop environment.
- Pcmanfm 0.9.8, a fast and lightweight files manager using gio/gvfs.
- Lxdm, a lightweight GTK display manager.
- Chromium – A lighter and faster replacement for Firefox, works just fine.
- Abiword, Gnumenric & Xpad – A viable replacement to the Libreoffice suite.
- Synaptic Package manager – Installing, Controlling, and Removing softwares in old-school ways with Synaptic.
- Pidgin Instant Meesenger – A replacement for mainstream Empathy client. Pidgin still rocks, no questions asked !
- Gnome-Mplayer – Default Multimedia player for Lubuntu.
- Slypheed – The default Email client for Lxde Desktops.
- Firefox, VLC and Libreoffice are other popular supported software available in the repository.
- Lubuntu is now HAL free (thanks Xubuntu dev)
- Installer (ubiquity) support installation of Lubuntu and autologin configuration at install time includes in Ubuntu official repository.
- Icons on the desktop are now movable.
- Fake transparency is available again.
- Lubuntu use now Ubuntu font by default.
For more details, please refer the official release annoucement.
Lubuntu aka LXDE Ubuntu is indeed a must try for everyone. It work well with virtula machines as well.
Njoy Lubuntu !