Yo! Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal Beta 1 is now ready for download and testing. This release of Natty has gone through rigorous development and is now shining with Unity 3.6.8, latest Linux kernel, New wallpapers, Unity panel updates and much more. Ubuntu 11.04 has reached feature freeze and user-interface freeze. All the updates regarding new features and improvements in UI are almost done. There is another good news that Ubuntu Netbook Edition is not separate now, Unity for desktops is the same Unity for Netbooks, that means Unity has united Ubuntu Desktop edition and Netbook edition. So conclusion is that Unity has got something for everyone.
Ubuntu 11.04 Beta 1 CD images
Ubuntu 11.04 Beta 1 DVD Images –
New Features & Updates
Apart from enhanced stability, this release has come up with a lot of enhancements in Unity, wallpapers updates and many bug-fixes.
- Unity 3.6.8 integrated.
- Linux Kernel 2.6.38.
- LibreOffice 3.3.2 comes default.
- Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Final is now in effect.
- New Default and Community Wallpapers.
- Banshee 1.9.4 is the default Music Player.
- New Icons arrived for Ubuntu One, File browser, Application browser etc.
- Main Ubuntu Panel icon is also brand new.
- Panel Network Manager also shows ‘Connection information’ including your current Ip-address, Connection speed, DNS, Subnet mask etc.
- Nautilus 220.127.116.11 is up and running.
- Unity Panel now shows only Mounted Partitions in the list.
- Unity now has ‘Intellihide’ panel.
- Latest packages of Python 2.7 and GCC 4.5 are also up and running.
Testing Unity is easy as a testing previous versions. If you are having integrated graphics like a Laptop, then Unity will run by default. For Nvidia and ATI users, there will be a bit of wait after which Unity will be shining on their desktops/laptops. All you need to do is follow these simple steps :-
- Run the LiveCD, you will be shown Ubuntu Gnome UI.
- Just install Ubuntu 11.04 on your desktop as you have done before.
- After booting into Ubuntu, run the update manager. After the updates will be completed, restart the computer.
- Now install ‘Additional Hardware Drivers’ from Unity-Panel > Applications.
- After that open software center and download ‘Ubuntu Restricted Extras’ and install them.
And now you are good to go. Alpha 3 testers can simple run an upgrade via the Update Manager and they will be good to go.
A Quick View at Ubuntu 11.04 Unity Interface
Any queries regarding Ubuntu 11.04 can be asked here.