Really ? Yes ! Firefox 5.0 public Beta & Firefox 6.0 Alpha are now avialable and are ready for testing purposes. We recommend you to keep them upto testing levels as they might annoy you with bugs. In this post we will throw a light on Firefox 5.0 and its key features and updates. It arrived faster than our expectations but its good. We ahve been testing it and so far only 1 bug was found which is potentially not much harmful. We would recommend you to install it only for testing purposes as it may not be good for Production machines.
For Windows and MacOSX platforms, see this page.
Testing in Ubuntu
The following PPA will install Firefox 5.0 beta on your Ubuntu system.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/firefox-next
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install firefox
Firefox 5.0 Beta
Thanks to Chris Coulson for the PPA. Note that this PPA is only for Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.04 users. For the rest, the following method applies very well.
1) Simply extract the file, rename it to ‘Firefox 5.0 Beta’ and copy that folder. Now type :
2) In the Nautilus window, browse the Filesystem to /usr/lib. Paste the file there and close Nautilus.
3) Now, goto System > Preferences > Main Menu and link the directory /usr/lib/Firefox 5.0 Beta/firefox and add the link to Applications > Internet.
4) Its all done. Now you can enjoy your Firefox 5.0 Beta without losing your bookmarks, your stable Firefox 4.0 or any of your data.
- Added support for CSS animations.
- Added support for switching Firefox development channels.
- The Do-Not-Track header preference has been moved to increase discoverability.
- Improved standards support for HTML5, XHR, MathML, SMIL, and canvas.
- Improved spell checking for some locales.
- Improved desktop environment integration for Linux users.
- Numerous Bugfixes.
Please see Release Notes for details.
Njoy Firefox 5 !!