Ubuntu 13.10 codenamed Saucy Salamander has been released and is ready for your desktops. This release of Ubuntu is a phenomenon as this day also sees the release of the first Ubuntu on mobile platform i.e. “Ubuntu Touch”. The Ubuntu experience this time is going to be better as the Lens has been upgraded to Smart Scopes that makes your desktop just better, however, XMIR is not available by default The latest linux kernel comes with comes with support for more devices and hardware components, better power management, and tons of other improvements. The upgrade in system settings gives the user more control over the computer and so on. So go ahead, grab your copy !
- The installation process is the same. Boot into a live CD.
- Select whether to “Try Ubuntu” or “Install Ubuntu”.
- Ubuntu installer will check the system resources for installation and will let you know. Network connection while installation is not mandatory (assuming you are booted live into 13.10).
- Installation Type – Select whether you want the installer to partition your disk for you, or you want to do it yourself.
- Set your Ubuntu location.
- Select Keyboard layout.
- Setup User configuration.
- Ubuntu One account configuration. If you don’t have an account, don’t worry, just use the first option and you are good to go.
- All done, now you have to just wait for the installatio to finish and then reboot to your latest Ubuntu desktop.
- Unity has been upgraded and now its even more sleek than ever. However, you always have a choice for Gnome/KDE switch over.
- Latest Linux kernel v3.11.
- Eyecandy wallpapers.
- Upstart 1.10 -This release provides a new bridge that allows jobs to react to filesystem changes.
- CUPS 1.6.2 gives better network printing and less buggy over all performance while printing.
- Apparmor has been updated.
- Upgraded System settings.
- Firefox, Libreoffice, Ubuntu One Music, Shotwell etc. help you get a complete desktop experience.
In total, this release is good one. Though not much has changed visually, the core Ubuntu has gone some really good changes which will surface overtime. Till then keep having fun.