The KDE Community has announced the latest major update KDE 4.12 delivering new features and fixes which is best experienced on Qt 4.8.4. With the Plasma Workspaces and the KDE Platform frozen and receiving only long term support, they are focused on the technical transition to Frameworks 5. The upgrade in the version number for the Platform is merely for the convenience of packaging. All bug fixes and minor features developed since the release of Plasma Workspaces, Applications and Platform 4.11 have been included.
New Features & Updates
- Kate streamlined the integration of Python plugins and added initial Vim-macro support and the games and educational applications bring a variety of new features. It also has received work on code completion, this time introducing advanced matching code, handling abbreviation and partial matching in classes. These improvements also trickle through to KDevelop and other applications using the Kate technology.
- KWebKit adds the ability to automatically scale content to match desktop resolution.
- Privacy guard KGpg shows more information to users and KWalletManager, the tool to save your passwords, can now store them in GPG form.
- In KMail, there is now AdBlock support (when HTML is enabled) and improved scam detection support by extending shortened URLs.
- The KDE Games have seen work in various areas. KReversi is now QML and Qt Quick based, making for a prettier and more fluid game experience. KNetWalk has also been ported with the same benefit as well as the ability to set a grid with custom width and height. Konquest now has a new challenging AI player named ‘Becai’.
Njoy KDE !